Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Album of the year!!!!.....well he should get a Grammy nod for

Album of the year....... Enthusiast's, Bloogers, Humans, will all call an album they like, "ALBUM OF THE YEAR!!!!" In big bold letters and shout and tell the whole world about it. You might even hear someone say, "Something like this doesn't come very often......" Is it safe to say in the musical climate we are in today, those phrases and words need to be thrown out? I think so because only a small few are making quality music and only small small percnetage of them make music that will stand the test of time. Well Peeps I know I didn't find "THE GREATEST ALBUM EVER!!!!", but the album I listened too the past week straight is a top album, if not the top soul album of 2008. I present to you Raphael Saadiq........ Like ya'll didn't know who he was LOL. enjoy!

Mood? : Too early to tell
What’s on the iPod? : The Jazz Liberatorz, (Check them out more on them later)

Greetings Peeps!!!!! My mind is in so many places I don’t know where to start. I was going to talk about “Electronic Soul”, but with Raphael Saadiq’s Album dropping, I decided to put that on hold.

The Legendary Raphael Saadiq

Raphael Saadiq just dropped his 4th studio album entitled, “The Way I See It” (Pookie Entertainment, Sony, BMG, Columbia Records) The Former Toni, Tony, Tone Frontman takes us on a trip back to the 50’s and 60’s when music and melodies meant something. The way I see it, hint hint, (I know corny on my end), this is your Parents Parents music. Plug in the Jukebox because It is an album that will bring back memories for some and paint a picture of what vintage soul music sounds like and what soul music SHOULD sound like in my opinion. The lead single, “Love That Girl” will put you in the mind frame of watching Mama or Big Mama cleaning the kitchen playing the record, (yes people a Record!) on a sunny Saturday morning and you walk in and see her singing every song and sway her hips to the music. Imagine The Temptations, Jackson 5, Stevie Wonder, early Rock & Roll, and sprinkle some Gospel wrapped into one on this album. This should be a Grammy nominated album, if not I will be VERY surprised. Do me a favor go to his website, and listen to snippets of his album, his myspace page should have the album playing so I advise listen first then buy. I’ll tell you this, I bet my Grandmother would listen to this and ask me, “Boy what you know about this?”, LOL. That’s all I have for right now. Check back later on today or tomorrow and I’ll talk about Ne-Yo’s album.

Until next time

Listen to

100 Yard Dash
Love That Girl
Sure Hope You Mean It
Big Easy
Oh Girl
Like It

Grade
A-

Appearances by
Joss Stone
Stevie Wonder
CJ
Jay-Z
The Infamous Young Spodie and The Rebirth Brass Band

email me and tell me my blog stinks @ markiethsmith@gmail.com

3 comments:

Mandingo said...

Thanks for this Mr Kent. I heard them talking about the release of this album on the radio this morning and was wondering if I should take the time to go get it. After reviewing the snippets on his myspace page, I think I will. Keep doin whatcha doin man. Thanks again for the insight.

BlueDiva1920 said...

I am glad to see you recognize legendary music when you hear it! OMG, I am so hyped about Raphael's new cd and I do plan on buying it TODAY. I noticed you mentioned a few of the cuts from the cd, however, I would like to know your thoughts on Sometimes and Calling. Those two caught my attention along with Big Easy, Love that Girl and 100 yard dash.

True, this music puts me in the mindset of Saturday mornings in Oakland, before the fog and cloud cover blew off. Or the sunny cool days of Fall, where the world seemed dimmer and all nature made you reflect on your inner thoughts...any of these songs playing could be a soundtrack for such days.

I not only heard "ghosts" of soul music from the 50's and 60's but even the parents and grandparents of those eras...blues and jazz. This cd reminded me of my childhood, holiday parties at my grandparents home and car rides with my mother. Music with simplictic truths accompanied by heartfelt melodies.

The Way I See it is a definitive work in a time of recycled beats, weak meaningless lyrics and voice enhancements. It showcases and reminds all music lovers what SOUL music is. Soul is that driven and purposeful father of an aloof R&B, that has somehow lost it's way. I hate that the two are even categorized together still!! Just my thoughts.

Yeah...I can't wait for my lunch break! :)

DW said...

Just heard the CD on Rhapsody. The album definitely has a old motown feel, but I like it.