Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Sy Smith's has the Best album of 2008; my rant with some people sort of.........

Greeting people!
After being lazy on Labor Day, I was supposed to go fishing but my family from N.O. came up because of the Hurricane so I decided to hang out with them. Anyway enough about that, I finally had time to sit down and listen to Sy Smith's new album, "Conflict"(Psyko/MDI, 2008). I was laying under a rock, again I didn't know she had a CD out so I'm giving myself a late pass on this one shame on me! It is a mix of Soul, Jazz & a little bit of Techno, a.k.a. a mixture of futuristic vibes and melodies which will put you on the planet Saturn for a out of this world party on a cold winter night. She switches gears on the Album from songs like, "Overthought" to, "The Art of You" to, "Would all of the people from Compton Please Leave". It is a Soulful, Great Album which really shows her creativity. Plus the Girl can "Sang!!!!!" not Sing, "Sang!" I give her props because of the people she worked with, and every one of her Albums come with something fresh and new. Do me a Favor, check out her other albums Psykosoul (Hollywood, 2000)& The Syberspace Social (Psyko/Kajmere Sound, 2005)tell me what you think. This one is definitely a winner for 2008.
My question is, how come an Artist like herself and many others, cannot get any significant amount of airtime on the radio, or cannot get a decent record deal from the big record companies? Beats me I would only make sense to me. I think I would be fired if I were an A&R, (Aspiring rappers and singers look up what A&R means.) because I would sign someone with pure talent and skills, instead of signing some eye candy who doesn't know how to read a musical note, and only come with verbal skills my 1 year old nephew can come up with. Call me a "Hater" on what is playing on the radio or what's out now, but I would rather hear Sy Smith, Lizz Fields, Eric Roberson, Vikter Duplaix anyday before i hear someone talking about doing the "Stankyleg". WTF!!!!!!! I'm glad some of my favorite artists are independent because they can make the music that defines them, not someone else.
Also I have one other rant, People have been emailing me to check out this person they would be cool, Yeah OK I want to get something straight here, I deal with SOUL MUSIC! Not Smooth Jazz, not Rap, no Polka, no easy listening. I feel I have a good ear for music as well, the purpose of my blog is to get the word out there for my favorite artists. It's not like they don't have fans, I'm just shedding some light on them because they need it. I do this for the Love of music. Granted it's a little edgy at times, no carbon copies, but that's how I like it, and that's how some of my peers like it. I'm not going to name names on some of the artists, or the people who recommended me these people, but c'mon people. I don't do rap anymore I do hip-hop, whoever tells you it's the same it a Bald-Headed Lie! (Thanks Erin for that!) That's another story, another blog, another day.
I'm changing my picture because SOMEBODY says I look like I'm 16 on that pic, so to make folks happy I'll put an updated pic up, Geez everyone is a critic :) I'll talk about Electronic Soul and J*Davey next Blog.


Peace and Blessings
tell me how much my blog stinks.
markiethsmith@gmail.com

No comments: