Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Influenced by Hip-Hop, I decided to change it up a little bit.

Mood: Chill
What’s on the iPod: Jazz


I was chillin at work, (Doesn’t make sense but all of you chill at work too! :) ) and I was looking at a friend of mine’s facebook status and she posed a question, “When did you fall in love with Hip-Hop?” Well I fell in love with Hip-Hop around 88 when I heard, “The Bridge” and then I heard, “South Bronx” it made me curious on what Hip-Hop was all about. I’ve been in the South Born and Raised, and when I listen to Hip-Hop, not Rap, I’ve always caught flak for that. Because the Media has the music divided on where you reside, stuff gets started and debates ensue for no reason. I’ll tell you like this, I don’t care where you are from you can be from Alaska, Jupiter, Dallas, New York, or L.A. If you are making good music I will consume your good music.

People are all caught up on “being from the South” or “East Coast” or “West Coast” MEMO: I DON’T CARE! I’m pretty sure some other folks don’t care either. There are a handful of people in my eyes who will forever continue to make good music one of them is Soulja Boy, (I kid LOL) when you see people doing music for the love of it, you have the utmost respect from me. If you are out here trying to be a rapper because you have the feds on you for selling dope and you need a “legal” way to make some money…… I dunno it all sounds the same to me. How many times can you sell Coke and not get caught or no one robs you? You see this is why a lot of Young, Flashy, so called rappers get Mollywhopped when they go out of town with all of that non-sense, your city is not the only ones with goons Lil’ Homie. Listen I believe in expression like the next person, but when you are making no nonsense music and polluting the airwaves with useless dialect, I have issues with that and Radio Stations and TV Networks are the blame as well for promotiong this.

I see Hip-Hop as a Lady, she has been ran through, changed but she always keeps her essence, lets keep her beautiful and full of life, instead of the current state she is in. I rather listen to the hungry rapper who is about the essence than Diddy any day. Anyway enough about my rant look up the Jazz Liberatorz and tell me what ya’ll think. I think it’s the best fusion of Jazz and Hip-Hop I’ve ever heard.

More on Ne-Yo Later…… I think….

Peace and Blessings, Hip-Hop that was for you Baby I tried my best......

E-mail me the time you fell in love with Hip-Hop, or just to email me your grocery list for this week, I’m bored ya’ll. :)

markiethsmith@gmail.com

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Only a few people has responded to my question, "When did you fall in love with Hip Hop?"

I fell in love with Hip Hop listening to LL Cool J, Slick Rick, Doug E Fresh, KRS-One/BDP, Run DMC, and all of the pioneers that blazed the Hip Hop trail. I remember learning how to listen to the lyrics versus the beats. My early Hip Hop influence molded me for Method Man, Camp Lo, QuestionMark Asylum, Wu Tang, Mobb Deep, Ol' Dirty Bastard, Common, and Talib Kweli.

Everyday, I learn to love and appreciate Hip Hop. Now as a woman, Hip Hop is the man that fills my cavity with his sincere lyrics and irreplaceable sounds. Hip Hop is the echoes of life and love from heart to soul. My Hip Hop made me fall in love all over again. So thank you Hip Hop...

Mad props Mar-K! Love ya!
~Erin~

BlueDiva1920 said...

Guess it's time I have my "Brown Sugar" moment as well. LOL

First and foremost, I will say, your blog had depth. Got me to thinking and contrasting what Hip Hop truly is. As I recall, Hip Hop, in it's early stages had some sort of conscious message. The artists were "hungry", loved the music, loved the craft, and had SOMETHING to say, usually putting those words over a "dope" or "something so obscure and innovative you gon like it anyway" beat.

Somewhere, somehow, the heart and soul of Hip Hop has been lost. I can now understand what Nas meant when he said, "Hip hop is dead". As I take a walk down memory lane and think of Souls of Mischief, Hieroglyphics, Mos Def, A Tribe Called Quest...I could go on. I caught flack for JAMMING these artists and others like them. I was different and the music was different. I fell in love with Hip Hop and found it to be disguised as Soul due to how it touched my soul, just like the songs of old...but for new reasons.

Keep doing what you do, Clark!

Anonymous said...

Bruh, you know I don't respond to these things, but this one hit home.

I remember EXACTLY what I was doing when I fell in love with hip-hop ... and what else ... playing ball. LOL ... That's when I first heard EPMD's "You Gots to Chill." It was over from there.